Are you interested in helping shape the largest international meeting of archaeologists in Europe? Would you like to find out about the latest archaeological discoveries and meet archaeologists and heritage professionals from all around the world? If so, there is a great volunteer opportunity waiting for you! We are looking for passionate and dynamic volunteers to join us for the 29th Annual Meeting of the European Association of Archaeologists in Belfast, Northern Ireland, from 30 August to 2 September 2023, which will be held as a hybrid event. You can therefore volunteer onsite in Belfast or online from your home. You will receive training prior to the event and will be assigned tasks according to your preferences (to the degree possible).
Applicants should be local or international students of Archaeology / Heritage / related disciplines; all degree students (BA, MA, PhD) are eligible. Proof of valid student status must be provided upon application acceptance. Applicants must be fluent English speakers. Selected volunteers will be expected to work approx. 25 hours over the duration of the Annual Meeting. Volunteers' benefits are listed in the second box on the right.
Volunteers will be needed for the below tasks:
- Registration desk - registering attendees and assisting with the distribution of attendees’ registration materials and delegates’ bags
- Information desk - providing information about the Annual Meeting activities, sessions, the local surrounding area, giving directions, and providing answers to attendees’ questions
- Session Monitoring - assisting session organisers and presenters with technical and practical requirements
- Keynote Lectures Monitoring - assisting keynote presenters with technical and practical requirements
- European Archaeology Fair - assisting exhibitors with their needs, providing directions and general information
- Social Events Monitoring - directing Annual Meeting attendees into and out of the social events venues, admission control, supervising the activities to ensure that everything works well and according to the schedule
- Venue Monitoring - assisting Annual Meeting attendees within the venue, providing directions and general information
- Cloakroom service
- Before and after the Annual Meeting - besides the tasks during the days of the Meeting, assisting with all tasks required for the preparation of the Annual Meeting on 29 August and after the Annual Meeting on 3 September. Tasks will include inserting materials into delegates’ bags, preparing session rooms and the Fair, as well as distributing information materials in the event venues, and possibly assistance in organising excursions.
- Virtual test room - staffing the virtual test room, helping online presenters with sharing ppt / pre-recorded presentations and other technical and practical requirements; the test room will be available prior and during the AM
- Monitoring of academic programme live-streaming - addressing and reporting problems.
Please note that we might add other tasks to the ones listed above, depending on the needs that may arise in the run-up to the Meeting. Successful applicants will be assigned, as much as possible, to the sessions and tasks of their preference. If you would like to volunteer for the 29th EAA Annual Meeting, please fill out the application form https://forms.gle/zArhFEHfABVCn1KXA by 1 March 2023 23:59 CET. Selected and rejected volunteers will be notified by 27 March 2023.